Like any big city, Buenos Aires offers a range of hotels and hostels to meet almost any traveler's tastes and budget. Upon coming to Buenos Aires, backpackers who have trekked through other parts of Argentina may be surprised to find hostels are nearly double the price as in other parts of the country (and in South America as a whole).
Before booking accommodation in the city, it pays to keep the following hotel-booking tips in mind:
- Many Buenos Aires hotels can be booked at a slightly reduced rate by consulting a Buenos Aires travel agency beforehand.
- More expensive joints often raise their prices for extranjeros (foreigners), so don't be surprised if the guy with an Argentine passport pays slightly less; there is not much you can do to avoid this, and we don't particularly recommend ranting and raving or rolling your eyes in disgust.
- In some cases, you may receive a reduced rate by paying in cash (pesos).
- Be sure to inquire whether or not the prices listed include the 21% room tax (VAT), and if traveling in the summer definitely ask about air conditioning cause the heat can be sweltering in Buenos Aires.
- Hotels may also give you an extended stay discount, so if you plan on staying more than two or three days, don't be afraid to ask.
- In contrast, you might want to avoid the hotels in Buenos Aires bearing an "Albergue Transitorio" sign, or red and green lights; these are short-stay hotels geared towards young lovers (or shady characters).
- When in Buenos Aires, backpackers hoping to camp will not find many options. Make sure you do your research before arriving to the city.
- Definitely think about what you want to see and do in Buenos Aires, hotels can be found in every nook and cranny, so it's best to seek one out that is conveniently located near your own personal areas of interest
Other Hotel pages in Buenos Aires that may be of interest: Las Canitas Hotels, Almagro Hotels, Villa Crespo Lodging, La Boca Hotels, Villa Paranacito Hotels, Palermo Hotels, San Telmo Hotels, Belgrano Hotels, Puerto Madero Hotels and Centro Hotels.